Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christiana Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2007 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-173/89.)
Location. 39° 39.992′ N, 75° 39.553′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Old Baltimore Pike, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christiana Public School #111-C (about 700 feet away); Christiana United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Talbot's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); Purple Heart Trail in Delaware (approx. 1.7 miles away); Buena Vista (approx. 2˝ miles away); Hale-Byrnes House (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Christiana.
Regarding Christiana Presbyterian Church. Christiana Presbyterian Church is a contributing building within the Christiana Historic District which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1732, the first church building was erected on the site in 1738. The present and second structure dates from 1857. Charles Tennent was the first
Also see . . . George Whitefield. (Submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,810 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.