Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
By the Grace of God, “A building about thirty feet square unpainted inside and out, with no steeple or bell without and no stove within” was erected on this place in 1675 to serve as both a community church, town hall and burial ground on land granted to the town of Woodbridge under terms of a charter dated June 1, 1669 by Charles II King of England.
On September 10, 1710 the community church was admitted to the Philadelphia Presbytery. In 1803 a new building was erected. The foundation of the present sanctuary is the original 1803 foundation. Major renovations to the 1803 building were completed in 1875 and 1972 resulting in its present appearance. In recognition of its historical significance, this church and its cemetery were entered onto the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on January 25, 2008 and onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2008. (Marker Number 357.)
Location. 40° 33.711′ N, 74° 16.416′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Rahway Avenue and Freeman Street, on the right when traveling north on Rahway Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barron Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barron Estate (about 300 feet away); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 300 feet away); Barron Arts Center (about 300 feet away); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church and Cemetery are one one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location in front of church building).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The First Presbyterian Church in Woodbridge has been a house of worship continuously since 1675, and a Presbyterian congregation since 1706. Its site, called Meeting House Green, sits on over five acres and
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church and cemetery. (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.