Edinburg in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Batchellerville Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Present Site 1930 To Escape
Rising Waters Of
Erected by Town of Edinburg. (Marker Number 389.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 43° 12.551′ N, 74° 4.893′ W. Marker is in Edinburg, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on South Shore Road near Degolia Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker, and the church building, are located near the east end of the Batchellerville Bridge which crosses the Sacandaga Lake. Marker is in this post office area: Northville NY 12134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Building the Batchellerville Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Great Sacandaga Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Batcheller Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Country Store (about Batchellerville (about 500 feet away); Covered Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away); Carriage Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); Beecher's Store (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edinburg.
Regarding Batchellerville Presbyterian Church.
History of Batchellerville Presbyterian Church
The Batchellerville Presbyterian Church traces its roots to the early pioneering days when New England settlers found their way westward, “with a torch for religion in one hand and education in another, “as the history writers tell it.
It is recorder that on September 5, 1808, a meeting was called at the house of James Goodwin, Esquire, in Edinburg, and a Congregational church of 21 members organized, composed of families by the names of Daniel, Lydia, and Lucy Knight, Isaac and Sally Noyes, David and Lydia Stoddard, Phineas and Polly Warren, David C. and Eunice Jones, John and Susan Gordon, Ebenezer and Sarah Sherwin, Lydia Beecher, Sally Houghtalin, Abigail Stimson, James and Abigail Goodwin, and Israel Woodford. They” pledged themselves to the service of
In 1814 a young evangelist, Reverend Truman Osborn, visited the area and conducted a series of meetings on the west side of the river on Northampton Road. A great revival ensued, resulting in a church edifice erected in 1815. The church was organized Presbyterian, and for 16 years all worshiped together here.
Attending church was an all-day event, with people traveling on foot five or six miles, listening to tow long sermons and lengthy prayers, then returning home weary and refreshed just as evening shadows began to fall.
As homes increased in the valley, another house of worship was built. The site was in Edinburg on the west bank of the Sacandaga River where the roads from each side of the fiver united. The building was started in 1822 and completed in 1824. The membership of this church remained the Congregational church of Edinburg, with thirty members. They remained until 1867, when a February 14 resolution was passed to change he form of government to Presbyterian.
Signs of the times also indicated the need for a new building – this one to be erected on the east bank of the river, in the thriving little village of Batchellerville. Elders and Deacons were elected, and the place of worship moved to a new edifice in the village,
The dedication of the new church building (the present building) was postponed until October 2, 1867 in order that there would be no debt. The cost was about $8,000 and the Meneely bell (1,040 lbs) was over $500.
During the next thirty years about 300 people joined the church, and on one memorable occasion 60 new members were received at a single service!
1897 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the church, October 2-3rd, with luncheons and socials. The weather was delightful; the church was filled to overflowing with an appreciative and interested audience. Greetings from pastors of neighboring churches were timely and heart-warming, the singing lusty and impressive.
In 931, when the village of Batchellerville was inundated by the waters of the Sacandaga Reservoir, the church building was moved to its present site.
The Reverend Alan Marcley served the church for thirty years (1924 – 1954). The membership became depleted in the mid-fifties, but the church was kept open for summer visitors. In fact, that was the condition upon which an agreement was made, and Batchellerville and Northville Presbyterians became a united congregation in 1959.
Ten months out of the year Batchellerville is closed, but July through Labor Day finds the door wide open, the bell ringing out, calling
Batchellerville Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 and is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker designation along with the NRHP designation is located at the rear of the church).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
This church traces its origins to a Congregational Society founded in 1808. In 1814, the congregation affiliated with the Presbyterians, and in 1866, they built a new Greek Revival timber frame church in the little village of Batchellerville. This building still stands, but not in its original location, which is now at bottom of the Great Sacandaga Lake. When the Sacandaga River was dammed in 1930, the building was moved to its present location overlooking the lake. In 1959, Batchellerville Presbyterian Church and Northville Presbyterian Church merged to form the Northville United Presbyterian Church and built a new sanctuary. The congregation still maintains the "little white church by the lake."
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,343 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 10, 11. submitted on August 31, 2014, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.