Darlington in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Free Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. (Marker Number 57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Beaver County (PA) Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation marker series.
Location. 40° 48.514′ N, 80° 25.304′ W. Marker is in Darlington, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is at the intersection of Plumb Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on Plumb Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington PA 16115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darlington Borough (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greersburg Academy (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Greersburg Academy (about 700 feet away); Daniel Leasure (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caughey's Mill Thomas Sprott House (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Permanent Structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Chartered In 1798 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Regarding Free Presbyterian Church. Darlington Reformed Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The present church building was erected in 1847, when two-thirds of the Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian Church in Darlington seceded to become a Free Presbyterian congregation. The small Free Presbyterian Church was organized by those who were dissatisfied with the Presbyterian Church in the USA position that slaveholding was no bar to church membership. Following the Civil War and the dissolution of the Free Presbyterian Church, the Darlington
Also see . . . Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. Marker Program (Submitted on January 20, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.