Churchill in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected in 1837
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
The Beulah Church was the first congregation in the Presbyterian denomination to be organized in the Pittsburgh area, and is the "Mother Church" of many of the churches of the district, including the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, East Liberty Presbyterian Church, First Presbyterian Church of Wilkinsburg, the Hebron United Presbyterian
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 40° 26.815′ N, 79° 50.896′ W. Marker is in Churchill, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of McCrady Road and Beulah Road (Pennsylvania Route 130). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pittsburgh (approx. 1.7 miles away); Pioneer Short-Wave Station (approx. 2 miles away); Frank Conrad (approx. 2.3 miles away); Linhart Homestead (approx. 2.3 miles away); Westinghouse Atom Smasher (approx. 2½ miles away); Jane Grey Swisshelm (approx. 2.6 miles away); National Negro Opera Company (approx. 2.8 miles away); William "Billy" Strayhorn (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Regarding Beulah Chapel. Beulah Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Existing at least as early as 1784, Bullock-pens Presbyterian Church was the second oldest Presbyterian congregation west of the Alleghenies. The name was changed in 1785 to Pitt Township Presbyterian Church, and later to Beulah. The original log meetinghouse was replaced in 1813 by a log church designed in the form of a cross. The present brick structure was erected in 1837. Pastor John Graham organized the Library Society of Beulah, thought to be first subscription library west of the Allegheny Mountains. Graham also established the Pittsburgh Recorder. George Washington's secretary, General John Johnston, was first Clerk of Session and is buried, together with many other Revolutionary patriots in the church cemetery.
Also see . . . Beulah Prebyterian Church. (Submitted on December 16, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.