Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Paxton Presbyterian Church

Founded in 1716

 

—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —

 
Paxton Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
1. Paxton Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. The first building on this site, a log structure, was erected about 1716. Regular pastorate was established in 1726. The present stone building was erected in 1740 and was restored in 1931. It is the oldest Presbyterian Church building in continuous use in Pennsylvania. The church site was deeded by heirs of Wm Penn in 1744. Deed copies exhibited in the old church building.
 
Erected 1935 by Paxton Church Historical Society. (Marker Number 46.)
 
Location. 40° 15.781′ N, 76° 49.881′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Paxtang Ave. and Sharon Road, on the right when traveling north on N. Paxtang Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paxton Church (a few steps from this marker); John Harris, Jr. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Maclay, Esq. (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Paxton Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Parson John Elder House (approx. 0.8
Paxton Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 25, 2015
2. Paxton Presbyterian Church Marker
miles away); Bellevue Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bishop McDevitt High School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Breeze Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Regarding Paxton Presbyterian Church. Paxton Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Mother of Harrisburg Presbyterianism, the Paxton congregation was organized in 1732 by the Presbytery of Donegal. The present stone structure was built in 1740 and is the oldest Presbyterian church building in continuous use in Pennsylvania. John Harris II, Founder of Harrisburg, and William Maclay, first U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, are buried in the adjacent graveyard, which dates back to the French and Indian War.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this
Paxton Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
3. Paxton Presbyterian Church
marker. Other Paxton Church Markers
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Paxton Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By John K. Robinson, March 30, 2006
4. Paxton Presbyterian Church
Plaque on left of cemetery gate. image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
5. Plaque on left of cemetery gate.
In memory of the heroes
of the Revolution,
Frontier Defenders
and Soldiers
of the French and Indian War
Buried in Paxton Churchyard.
Revolutionary War
John Harris 2nd. • Jacob Awl • William Brown • Rev. John Elder
Colonels
James Crouch • Joshua Elder • Robert Elder
Lieut. Colonel
James Cowden
Majors
John Gilchrist • John Gilchrist 2nd
Captains
John Brisbane • John Kean • William Maclay • John Rutherford • Joseph Sherer •Michael Simpson •Michael Whitley
1st Lieutenant
William Swan
2nd Lieutenants
William Kelso • Samuel Rutherford
Ensigns
John Elder • Robert Gray • Samuel Sherer
Sergeant
Henry McKinney
Surgeon
Thomas Wiggins
Privates
James Cochran • Edward Crouch • Josiah Espy • John Forster • Richard Fulton • George Gray • John Gray • Joseph Gray • John Hilton •William Ingram • John Kean, 2nd • Robert McClure • John Means • David Patton • David Ritchey • James Rutherford • Andrew Stephen • Alexander Wilson • Hugh Wilson
and others whose names are unknown
Plaque on right of cemetery gate image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
6. Plaque on right of cemetery gate
Frontier Defenders
and Soldiers
of the French and Indian War
Rev. John Elder
Commissioned Colonel
Captains
Moses Dickey • John Harris 2nd • William Maclay
Lieutenants
John Forster • Thomas Forster
Ensigns
John Brisbane • Henry Rennick
Surgeon
John Wiggins
Privates
Jacob Awl • James Collier • Joshua Elder • Robert Elder • John Gray • Joseph Sherer • Michael Simpson
and others whose names are unknown.
Erected by the Harrisburg Chapeer Daughters of the American Revolution
Paxton Presbyterian Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
7. Paxton Presbyterian Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,207 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on February 27, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on May 17, 2008, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   5, 6, 7. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement