Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hershey in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Derry Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Derry Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
1. Derry Church Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1729; the first pastor, William Bertram, installed in 1732 by Donegal Presbytery. Its grove was patented to it by the sons of William Penn in 1741. The churchyard is the oldest pioneer graveyard in this region.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 17.524′ N, 76° 38.744′ W. Marker is in Hershey, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on 248 E. Derry Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hershey PA 17033, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Derry Session House and Enclosure (within shouting distance of this marker); Derry Church School (1844-1904) (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Derry Churchyard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hershey (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chocolate Workers' Sit-Down Strike (approx. half a mile away); Wilt Chamberlain's Scoring Record (approx. 0.6 miles away); Milton S. Hershey (approx. 0.7 miles away); The M.S. Hershey Rose (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hershey.
 
Regarding Derry Church. Derry Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed
Derry Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, April 12, 2008
2. Derry Presbyterian Church
Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvinís seal and the siteís registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Derry Presbyterian Church was organized in 1729. William Penn's sons deeded the land to the congregation in 1741. The present sanctuary, a stone church with stained glass windows, was erected in 1884. The congregationís oldest structure, and the oldest surviving building in the Hershey area, is the Session House, or Pastorís Study. Built in 1732 of hand-hewn logs and heated by a stone fireplace, it also served as an academy for the children of early settlers. The study even served for a time as the post office of the village of “Derry Church,” which became the town of Hershey. In 1929, Mr. S.M. Hershey, the chocolate maker, provided funds to build a protective glass enclosure for the study.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  Heritage of Derry Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial EraNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,268 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement