Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 2004 by the Multicultural Genealogical Center, Chesterhill, OH and Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, on May 23rd.
Location. 39° 19.792′ N, 82° 6.062′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker is on North Court Street north of Washington Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. It is in front of the Court Street Diner. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. First Settlers in Athens County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Athens First Settlement - 1797 (about 300 feet away); Athens County Vietnam War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Athens County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial (about 300 feet away); Ohio University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Athens National Guard Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Athens County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . . Local preservationists lament failure to save historic Berry Hotel. 2001 article in The Athens News. “Marjorie Stone, co-author of ‘Getting to Know Athens County,’ said that Berry was famous for his fried oysters, and his wife for her homemade pies. Historical records and local tales both speak of the innovative touches Berry added to the rooms in his hotel — things that were copied all over the country. Traxler noted that Berry was the first to place the Gideon Bible in each room. According to records in the OU Archives, each room contained a pincushion, needle and buttons for travelers.” (Submitted on August 26, 2018.)
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 26, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.