Abington in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Abington Church and Graveyard
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The oldest Presbyterian church in Montgomery County and mother church, directly or indirectly, to ten offspring churches. Founded in 1714 by the Rev. Malachi Jones, the first pastor. The original church stood in the center of the graveyard and was moved to present site in 1793. During the American Revolution local militia skirmished with British from graveyard. Early settlers of Abington were English Quakers, Welsh, Scots, and Dutch. (Marker Number 179.)
Location. 40° 6.867′ N, 75° 7.324′ W. Marker is in Abington, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old York Road (Pennsylvania Route 611) and Susquehanna Road, on the right when traveling south on Old York Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abington PA 19001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abington District World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Abington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverend Samuel Finley (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots Buried in the Abington Presbyterian Church Graveyard Willow Grove United Methodist Church, 1889 (approx. 2 miles away); The Fountain House Inn, 1717 (approx. 2 miles away); The Manor House, ca. 1719 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Memorial Hall, 1925 (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abington.
Regarding Old Abington Church and Graveyard. Abington Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Founded in 1714, Abington Church members first met in the home of Rev. Malachi Jones, a Welsh Independent minister who joined the newly organized Philadelphia Presbytery shortly thereafter. By 1719 the congregation had built a stone meeting house and a cemetery on land donated by Jones in Montgomery County. Jones died in 1729 and was buried in this cemetery,
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on August 26, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.