Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Hanover in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Falkner Swamp Reformed Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Falkner Swamp Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 29, 2015
1. Falkner Swamp Reformed Church Marker
Inscription. The nations' oldest originally German Reformed Congregation in continuous existence was established here. The first Communion was celebrated October 15, 1725, with the Rev. John Philip Boehm, founder of the German Reformed Church in America, officiating. The present building was constructed in 1790. Since 1961 it has been affiliated with the United Church of Christ
 
Erected 1960 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. (Marker Number 55.)
 
Location. 40° 17.758′ N, 75° 34.801′ W. Marker is in New Hanover, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Swamp Pike and Leidy Road on Swamp Pike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gilbertsville PA 19525, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hanover Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); John F. Hartranft (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boyertown Burial Casket Company (approx. 4.1 miles away); Jeremiah Sweinhart and Successors (approx. 4.1 miles away); Carl A. Spaatz (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Grubb Mansion (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rhoads Opera House Fire (approx. 4.2 miles away); Colebrookdale Furnace (approx. 4.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Falkner Swamp Reformed Church.
Falkner Swamp Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 29, 2015
2. Falkner Swamp Reformed Church Marker
Falkner Swamp Reformed Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

John Philip Boehm, Father of the German Reformed Church in America, celebrated Holy Communion and organized the Falkner Swamp Reformed Church in October 1725. The oldest continuing German Reformed congregation in the United States, Falkner Swamp now is in the United Church of Christ. The congregation erected its first building at least by the 1740s. During the Revolutionary War Battle of Pottsgrove, it was used as an army hospital and General Anthony Wayne had his headquarters in the parsonage. A son of Falkner Swamp, Rev. Benjamin Schneider, went to Turkey in 1842 -- the first American German Reformed missionary abroad. The present building was erected 1790.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial Era
 
Falkner Swamp Reformed Church image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 29, 2015
3. Falkner Swamp Reformed Church
Falkner Swamp Reformed Church sign image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 29, 2015
4. Falkner Swamp Reformed Church sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on August 26, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement