Lewisburg in Union County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1948 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. (Marker Number 271.)
Location. 40° 57.801′ N, 76° 58.098′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Buffalo Road (Pennsylvania Route 192) and Meetinghouse Lane on Buffalo Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg PA 17837, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Buffalo Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Samuel Maclay (approx. 1.3 miles away); Col. John Kelly (approx. 1.9 miles away); Daniel F. Green (approx. 4 miles away); Bucknell University Eli Slifer (approx. 4.3 miles away); Catholic Chapel (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Regarding Buffalo Church. Old Buffalo Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1773 by Presbyterian pioneers, this was the first Presbyterian church west of the Susquehanna River. The third and present brick building was constructed in 1846 on the original five-acre property. Members of the congregation included Senator Samuel Maclay; Charlotte McCreight, missionary to the Dakota 1880-1912; and Esther Shields, missionary in Korea 1897-1938. In 1919 the church dissolved, and the remaining members joined the Lewisburg Church. In 1975, the Northumberland Presbytery sold the building
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on August 26, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.