Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
The High College of Saints Peter and Paul
Colegio Máximo de San Pedro y San Pablo en 1573.
Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República
Here was founded the High College of Saints Peter and Paul by Father Pedro Sánchez in 1573.
Office of Monuments of the Colony and the Republic
Erected by Dirección de Monumentos Coloniales y de la República.
Location. 19° 26.175′ N, 99° 7.723′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is on San Ildefonso just west of Calle Loreto, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: San Ildefonso 62, Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manuel Cervantes Imaz (a few steps from this marker); First Monte de Piedad (within shouting distance of this marker); First Mexican Congress (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Juan Chavarria de Valera (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple of Our Lady of Loreto (about 120 meters away); Nidjei Israel Synagogue (about 120 meters away); Francisco Javier Clavijero (about 150 meters away); Temple of Santa Teresa La Nueva (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Regarding The High College of Saints Peter and Paul. San Pedro y San Pablo College was the second college founded by Jesuits in the Viceroyalty of New Spain. The Jesuit missionaries were sent to the new colony in the 16th century to found new missions and schools. The missionary group that founded the college was led by Father Pedro Sánchez. The official founding occurred in 1574 with the name of Colegio Máximo de San Pedro y San Pablo (The High College of Saints Peter and Paul). It was called "Máximo" because it was built to oversee the training of priests in Mexico City, Tepotzotlán, Puebla, Guadalajara, Zacatecas, Mérida and Guatemala.
Construction of the facility began in 1576, funded by Alonso de Villaseca and others.
The purpose of the college was to provide university-level education to young men, mostly those partially descended from white European colonial settlers. It was divided into the Lesser Schools, which taught humanities and Greek/Latin grammar, and the Superior Schools, which focused on theology, the arts and philosophy. The institution educated young men for both religious and secular vocations. It reached its peak during the first half of the 18th century when it had about 800 students enrolled. Two of its more notable alumni are Francisco Javier Alegre and Francisco Javier Clavijero.
After the expulsion of the Jesuits from colonial Mexico in 1767, the college closed. The school building was given to civil authorities, who first used it as a barracks and later to house the Nacional Monte de Piedad "credit union" charity foundation. The church was transferred to the Augustinians, who removed most of the church's decoration. The altarpieces, paintings, and other decorative objects were redistributed to other churches, especially to the Metropolitan Tabernacle of the Mexico City Cathedral, where many of these pieces still remain. During this time, the complex began to seriously deteriorate. Adapted from Wikipedia
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.