Newbury in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
South Newbury Union Chapel
Called the "Cradle of Equal Suffrage" and "Free Speech Chapel," Union Chapel was to be "...open and free for all denominations, but to be monopolized by no one or to the exclusion of anyone." Built in 1858 or 1859 on land donated by Anson Matthews, the chapel reputedly exists in response to incident triggered by James A. Garfield, then principal of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (now Hiram College) and later president of the United States. He was scheduled to speak at the Congregationists' "Brick Church" in December 1857. Because of the supposed controversial nature of Garfield's speech, however, the invitation was withdrawn. (Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side) Outraged citizens built Union Chapel in response. Fulfilling its mission, the chapel welcomed groups crusading for many causes in late 19th century America, including women's dress reform and temperance. One of the most active groups at the chapel was the Newbury Woman's Suffrage Political Club, founded in January 1874. The chapel was the club's meeting place and the site of lectures by Susan B. Anthony and Harriet Taylor Upton, leaders in the woman's suffrage movement. The chapel also hosted singing schools, plays, and other social, religious, and political gatherings.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 26.284′ N, 81° 12.466′ W. Marker is in Newbury, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Ravenna Road (Ohio Route 44) 0.3 miles north of Bell Road (Local Route 10), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury OH 44065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel (here, next to this marker); The Burton Village Historic District (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Hickox Brick (approx. 3.9 miles away); Under This Penstock Base (approx. 4 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 4 miles away); Burton (approx. 4 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 4 miles away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (approx. 4 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.