Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Burton Congregational Church

 
 
Burton Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. Burton Congregational Church Marker
Inscription. The Burton Congregational Church was organized in 1808 and met in several nearby locations before this present building was erected in 1836 at a cost of $4,000. It was originally located within the park directly opposite where it stands today, but was moved to its present location in 1850. The steeple, rising 104 feet from the ground, crowned the roof in 1875. The church building was frequently used as a public hall and for many years was also used as the main hall for the Agricultural Fair, the forerunner of the Great Geauga County Fair. A former architect referred to the church as "Steamboat Gothic" because of its unusual appearance, but to its membership and friends it is just a beautiful place to worship God.
 
Erected 2009 by Burton Congregational Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-28.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 28.344′ N, 81° 8.738′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and West Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Burton Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. Burton Congregational Church Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting distance of this marker); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Under This Penstock Base (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Burton (about 600 feet away); The Burton Village Historic District (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
 
Also see . . .  Burton Congregational Church. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.