Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green
In 1796, surveyors for the Connecticut Land Company designated an area five miles square surrounding this place as Range 7, Township 7 of the Connecticut Western Reserve. A landowner's expedition on June 15, 1798, arrived at the northwest corner of the township. One of its members, Thomas Umberfield (Umberville) brought his family to the center of the township (now Burton Village) on June 21, 1798. Here they built the first home, a simple log cabin located southwest of the spring at the end of Spring Street. The owner of the largest parcel of land in the township, Titus Street, was given the honor of naming the township. He named it after his son, Burton.
In early Connecticut villages, the Village Green was surrounded by churches, the town hall, and prominent houses. The green was the common land to be used by the people of the township. When settlers arrived in the Connecticut Western Reserve, they chose the same pattern for their villages. This Village Green, platted on July 10, 1798, was given by the original landowners as a gift to the Township of Burton on October 5, 1803. Some of the early uses of the Village Green in Burton have been to serve as a common pasturing area for farm animals, drilling area for the local militia, place for Independence Day celebrations, site for early agricultural
Erected 2008 by Burton Historic District Association and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 28.346′ N, 81° 8.724′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Park Street and Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the northwest end of the Village Green. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Cannon (here, next to this marker); Burton Congregational Church (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting distance of this marker); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different Burton (about 600 feet away); Under This Penstock Base (about 600 feet away); The Burton Village Historic District (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Also see . . . Village of Burton. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.