Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Civil War Cannon
The inauguration of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was celebrated by the firing of this cannon in March, 1877.
In 1880, the cannon was fired in celebration of the presidential nomination of James A. Garfield, who became the 20th President of the United States. The cannon was again fired in 1931 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Garfield's birth.
Dedicated on May 25th, 2009, to honor the valor and bravery of all veterans.
Erected 2009 by Atwood Mauck American Legion Post 459, Burton, Ohio.
Location. 41° 28.348′ N, 81° 8.725′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Park Street and Spring Street. Touch for map. Located in the northwest corner of the Burton Village Green. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (here, next to this marker); Burton Congregational Church (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting distance of this marker); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Burton (about 600 feet away); Under This Penstock Base (about 600 feet away); The Burton Village Historic District (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.