Chardon in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fowlers Mill Historic District / Fowlers Mill
Fowler's Mill Historic District
Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) developed around a group of mills built in the 1830s on the Chagrin River. Opportunities from these mills led to Fowlers Mill becoming the commercial center of Munson Township. From the 1830s into the twentieth century, the community expanded with construction of churches, a post office, township hall, stores, hotel, blacksmith shop, schools, and houses built in such styles as Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne. This type of community center was common in rural, nineteenth century America, but rarely survives with so much original fabric intact. On Mayfield Road, the Disciple Church was built in 1842. East of the church, the brick central school built in 1913 replaced earlier one-room schoolhouses. The gristmill is the only mill standing in Geauga County. The cemetery contains burials dating from the 1830s. The Fowler's Mills Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
The community of Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) began in 1829, when brothers Milo and Hiram Fowler purchased land on the Chagrin River in Munson Township. The Fowlers immediately dug a millrace and built a sawmill. In 1834 they built this gristmill.
Erected 2005 by Fowlers Mill Historical Preservation Association and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 31.754′ N, 81° 15.383′ W. Marker is in Chardon, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Fowlers Mill Road 0.1 miles north of Mayfield Road (U.S. 322), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chardon OH 44024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fowlers Mill Historic District / A.B. Carlson Building "Old" Chardon Post Office (approx. 4.4 miles away); Chardon Business District (approx. 4˝ miles away); Chardon Business District / Geauga County Courthouse (approx. 4.6 miles away); First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC (approx. 5.9 miles away); South Newbury Union Chapel (approx. 6.8 miles away); This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel (approx. 6.8 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chardon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.