Mammoth Hot Springs in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Park roads were once aligned so that the guardhouse controlled traffic into Yellowstone from the north. Here soldiers contacted each party and entered the name of the driver, passengers, and type of rig into a large ledger. Guns not held at the guardhouse were sealed on the spot. They were checked at each outpost enroute, where soldiers certified on a form that the seal remained intact. Before visitors left the park, the form was scrutinized at an exit station.
1) Officer's Row (1898)
2) First Administrative Headquarters, Built 1891, Wood-frame construction
3) Guardhouse, Built 1891, Wood-frame construction.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 44° 58.432′ N, 110° 41.953′ W. Marker was in Mammoth Hot Springs, Wyoming, in Park County. Marker was on Unnamed Road 0.2 miles south of North Entrance Road and upper Grand Loop Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Actually located along an unnamed roadway between the upper loop of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Guard Duty (a few steps from this marker); A Most Fortunate Thing... (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); A Sense of Community (was about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported permanently removed. ); Crime in Wonderland (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named A Sense of Community (about 500 feet away); Yellowstone National Park Chapel (about 500 feet away); A Soldier’s Life (about 600 feet away); A Good Duty Station (was about 600 feet away but has been reported permanently removed. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mammoth Hot Springs.
More about this marker. This marker was removed and replaced with a new marker called Guard Duty.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on September 11, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.