Mammoth Hot Springs in Park County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Corps also improved life at Fort Yellowstone by constructing a hydroelectric power plant, which provided electricity for the Fort's buildings, and developing a water system. Other contributions included landscaping, and installing street lights and concrete sidewalks.
This building was constructed in 1903 and served as the headquarters for the Corps of Engineers until 1918.
Inset photo captions: 1) Steam Roller purchased by the Corps in 1916, 2) Rangers in front of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer's building (1929). Many of the first employees of the National Park Service were hired from the ranks of Fort Yellowstone troopers.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Yellowstone National Park WY 82190, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Road Builders (here, next to this marker); Elk Rut (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Yellowstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Yellowstone National Historic Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Fort Yellowstone (was about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported permanently removed. ); From Soldier to Ranger (was about 400 feet away but has been reported permanently removed. ); a different marker also named From Soldier to Ranger (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mammoth Hot Springs.
More about this marker. This marker has been removed and replaced with a new marker nearby called Road Builders.
Categories. • Military • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 608 times since then. Last updated on September 11, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.