Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jeﬀerson Public Library
Built 1907 by local funds plus a gift from Andrew Carnegie Foundation – one of 34 such grants made in Texas (where the movement for public libraries had begun in 1881).
A center of interest in a culture-loving town.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8059.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 32° 45.369′ N, 94° 20.833′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lafayette Street and North Market Street, on the right when traveling west on West Lafayette Street. Touch for map. Mounted right of entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 West Lafayette Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Texas Artificial Gas Plant (a few steps from this marker); Sterne Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Mergenthaler Linotype Typesetting Machine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown-Bender House Old Federal Court and Post Office Building (about 400 feet away); Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Captain William Perry (about 500 feet away); The Brooks House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Regarding Jefferson Public Library. National Register of Historic Places (1971). This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Also see . . .
1. A Grand Old Library.
As the Marion County community moved from the l9th to 20th century, the people of the town looked around for ways to restore their city to the prominence it enjoyed as an inland port area in the mid-1800s. Building a good library became a major project. The Jefferson Library Association received a $7,500 grant to build a library from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with the stipulation that Jefferson provide a budget for its upkeep. Between 1886 and 1919, Carnegie donated more than $40 million that paid for almost 1,700 new libraries across America. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Jefferson Carnegie Library.
This 1907 building is one of only five Carnegie Libraries serving its original function in Texas, and one of the most pleasing to the eye. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Jefferson Carnegie Library.
The Jefferson Carnegie Library is a library in Jefferson, Texas, built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Hallett & Rawson of Des Moines were the architects. Built in 1907, it is one of the few libraries in Texas, from the original 34, to currently operate as a library. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on September 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.