Seat of justice for Stone County. Galena lies 1,016 feet above sea level on the James River in whose beautiful, crystal waters the explorer H.R. Schoolcraft reported seeing lumps of galena on his 1818-19 trip in the Ozarks. First known as Jamestown, the town was originally settled in the 1830's to the south. After the county, named for pioneer Judge W. T. Stone, was organized, 1851, the present location and name were adopted. Stone County lies in the oldest mountain region in the U.S. In 7000 B.C. prehistoric Ozark Bluff Dweller Indians were living in the area. In modern times the county was part of the territory claimed by the Osage until 1808. Delaware Indians, between their land cession in Cape Girardeau County. 1818, and their final Missouri land cession, 1829, lived along the James River.
In early days the county benefited from the Wilderness Road, a north-south Indian and pioneer trail. Near Reeds Spring was Linchpin Campground. The Butterfield Mail route of 1856-61, soon called the Wire Road cut across northwest Stone County. In 1904, the White River R.R. (Mo. Pac.) arrived.
Galena, in the Missouri Ozarks, serves as seat of a county of the Shepherd of the Hills region, an area famed for its beauty, legends, and folklore. During the Civil War, guerrilla raids halted growth,
Points of interest in Stone and adjacent Taney County are the Shepherd of the Hills Country with its many sites associated with Harold Bell Wright's 1907 novel; Table Rock Dam, Lake, and resort area; and Fairy, Marvel, and Old Spanish caves.
Among Stone County's settlers were such accomplished pioneers as John B. Williams, who opened one of Missouri's early powder mills, 1835, at Cape Fair; Joseph Phillabert, Indian trader; Jacob Yocum. Schoolcraft's guide: and later, Truman S. Powell, editor, legislator, speleologist. Representative Dewey Short is a native of Galena, and here lived folklorist May Kennedy McCord as a youth.
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Location. 36° 48.331′ N, 93° 27.634′ W. Marker is in Galena, Missouri, in Stone County. Marker is at the intersection of Y Bridge (Missouri Route 248), on the right when traveling south on Y Bridge. Touch for map. This marker is across the river from downtown Galena. The bridge
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Famous Y Bridge In Galena, Missouri (a few steps from this marker); United We Stand (approx. 0.3 miles away); Honoring All Those Who Served (approx. 8.7 miles away); Duty, Honor, County (approx. 9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); Mars Hill Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. City of Galena, Missouri. City website with area information, community calender etc. (Submitted on September 19, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Galena, Missouri. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Submitted on September 19, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
3. Early History of Stone County, Missouri Part I of II by Charles L. Henson. The link to the second part of the article is on the same page. (Submitted on September 19, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 19, 2018, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.