Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old Eighteen
September 29, 1835
began the strategy of
the 18 Texians who by advising
with Alcalde Andrew Ponton, held
for two days 150 Mexican dragoons
sent to demand the Gonzales cannon,
allowing colonists time to mass
recruits for the Battle of Gonzales
Captain Albert Martin Almond Cottle
Jacob C. Darst Ezekiel Williams
Winslow Turner Simeon Bateman
Wm. W. Arrington Joseph D. Clements
Gravis Fulcher Almaron Dickerson
George W. Davis Benjamin Fuqua
John Sowell Valentine Bennet
James B. Hinds Charles Mason
Thomas R. Miller Thomas Jackson
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 28.963′ N, 97° 26.891′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 197 and South St. Joseph Street (U.S. 183), on the left when traveling west on County Road 197. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured The Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Military Plaza (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Gonzales (approx. 1.3 miles away); Andrew Ponton (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gonzales Courthouse (approx. 1.3 miles away); James W. Robinson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gonzales County Jail (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.