Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cap-Saint-Ignace in Montmagny MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Académie St-Ignace Academy

Un lieu de mémoire, une page d'histoire...

 

A place of memory, a page of history ...

 
Académie St-Ignace Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
1. Académie St-Ignace Academy Marker
Inscription.

Au cœur de notre village de Cap-Saint-Ignace, à l'emplacement actuel de la Caisse populaire Desjardins, était érigée en 1920 l'Académie St-Ignace, mieux connue sous le nom de « Collège des Frères maristes ».

Comme cette maison d'éducation pour garçons fait partie de notre patrimoine, nous voulons partager avec vous une page de notre histoire. Rappelons d'abord que lors de l'ouverture du Couvent des Sœurs de la Charité pour filles en 1894, deux classes seulement étaient réservées pour l'enseignement aux garçons.

Vers 1912, quelques paroissiens lancent l'idée de l'établissement d'un collège pour garçons dirigé par des religieux, mais... la population n'était pas encore prête à donner suite à cette proposition.

Ce n'est que cinq ans plus tard, soit en 1917, que l'idée d'un collège dirigé par des religieux a fait son chemin. Il a fallu la création de deux commissions scolaires sur le territoire de la municipalité pour y arriver.

La première assemblée de la Commission scolaire du village a lieu 9 juillet 1917. Les cinq commissaires élus entreprennent immédiatement des démarches pour la construction d'un édifice. Fait extrordinaire, quelque temps auparavant, dans son testament, Mlle Emma Gamache avait fait don d'une somme de mille deux cents dollars pour la construction d'un collège. La fabrique, pour sa part,

Académie St-Ignace Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
2. Académie St-Ignace Academy Marker
cède un terrain du côté sud-ouest de l'église et la nouvelle commission scolaire contracte un emprunt de dix mille dollars. Ainsi est née l'Académie St-Ignace.

La construction va bon train; elle est achevée le 25 avril 1920 et l'on procède à l'embauche de trois Frères maristes pour l'année scolaire 1920-1921. À partir de cette date, de nombreux Frères maristes se sont succédé pour assurer l'éducation et l'enseignement aux garçons.

Vu le déclin des vocations religieuses, c'est avec regret que les derniers Frères maristes quittent notre paroisse en 1963. Une page de notre histoire est alors tournée. Des laïques prendront ensuite la relève.

Malheureusement, au début de décembre 1986, le pic des démolisseurs abattait notre vieux collège.

Tout l'enseignement primaire de la paroisse est concentré maintenant dens un seul édifice, l'École Mgr-Sirois.

Hommage et reconnaissance aux Frères maristes pour leur dévouement.

Le dimanche 10 octobre 2010

[English translation]

At the heart of our village of Cap-Saint-Ignace, on the current location of the Caisse populaire Desjardins [bank], was built in 1920 the St-Ignace Academy, better known as the "College of Marist Brothers".

As this boys' education home is part of our heritage, we want to share with you a page of our history. First of all, when the Sisters of Charity Convent for Girls opened in 1894, only two classes were reserved for teaching boys.

Around 1912, some parishioners launched the idea of the establishment of a religious boys' college, but ... the population was not yet ready to act on this proposal.

It was only five years later, in 1917, that the idea of a religious-led college made headway. It took the creation of two school boards within the municipality to get there.

The first meeting of the Village School Board was held July 9, 1917. The five elected commissioners immediately took steps to construct a building. Extraordinary fact, some time ago, in her will, Miss Emma Gamache had donated a sum of one thousand two hundred dollars for the construction of a college. The mill, for its part, gave ground on the southwest side of the church and the new school board contracted a ten thousand dollar loan. Thus was born the Academy St-Ignace.

Construction went well; the building was completed on April 25, 1920, and three Marist Brothers were hired for the 1920-1921 school year. Since then, many Marist Brothers have succeeded in providing education and teaching to boys.

Given the decline of religious vocations, it was with regret that the last Marist Brothers left our parish in 1963. A page of our history was then turned, as lay people then took over.

Unfortunately, at the beginning of December 1986, the demolishers brought down our old college.

All primary parish education is now concentrated in one building, the Mgr-Sirois School.

Honor and recognition to the Marist Brothers for their dedication.

Sunday, October 10, 2010
 
Erected 2010.
 
Location. 47° 2.262′ N, 70° 27.368′ W. Marker is in Cap-Saint-Ignace, Quebec, in Montmagny MRC. Marker is at the intersection of rue Jacobs and rue du Collège, on the right when traveling east on rue Jacobs. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Place de l'Église, Cap-Saint-Ignace, Quebec G0R 1H0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Les Églises / The Churches (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierre Richard (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Étienne Paschal Taché (approx. 9.9 kilometers away); War Memorial (approx. 11.8 kilometers away); Joseph-Elzear Bernier (approx. 12 kilometers away); Beaumont-la-Ronce et Anse de Nouzilly (approx. 19.6 kilometers away); Historique du phare du Pilier de Pierre (approx. 19.6 kilometers away); Historique du phare de La Roche à Veillon (approx. 19.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cap-Saint-Ignace.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.