Woodstock Tercentenary (1686 - 1986)
The industry of northeastern Connecticut had its earliest beginnings in this area, Soon after arriving in 1686 the early settlers built a sawmill on a small brook running into the “Great Lake.” Later several dams along Sawmill Brook provided power to mills and other small businesses. In 1845, twine, cotton batting, and over 6,000 wooden tubs were manufactured here. South Woodstock’s manufacturing era came to an end in 1866, when the Warner Dam burst, destroying three bridges, two factories and damaging several businesses.
At the time of the Lexington alarm in 1775 more volunteers came from Woodstock than any other town in Connecticut. Mrs. Samuel McClellan planted elms on this common to commemorate that event. In 1859 the Woodstock Agricultural Society held its first fair here and in the vestry of the Baptist Church, The Fair moved to its present site in 1870. A time capsule buried here by The Woodstock Public School students and The Tercentenary Committee, is to be opened A.D. 2086 For Woodstock’s 400th anniversary.
Donated by Linemaster Switch Corp. October 23, 1986
In celebration of Woodstock’s 300 anniversary
Erected 1986 by Woodstock Tercentenary Committee.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quasset School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plaine Hill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Town of Woodstock War Memorial I (approx. one mile away); Town of Woodstock War Memorials (approx. one mile away); Woodstock (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Woodstock Academy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pulpit Rock Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Morse Mansion (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Last updated on September 25, 2018. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2018. 4. submitted on October 7, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.