Washington in Franklin County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
It is unknown who first call the Missouri River port here "Washington Landing." When Lucinda Owens filed the plat of the town on May 29, 1839, it officially became known as Washington.
This monument to our city's namesake, George Washington, was dedicated to the citizens of the City of Washington on May 15, 2004.
Sculptor Sabra Tull Meyer
Location. 38° 33.434′ N, 91° 0.761′ W. Marker is in Washington, Missouri, in Franklin County. Marker is on West 4th Street west of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Jefferson Street, Washington MO 63090, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Unnerstall Flag Plaza (a few steps from this marker); Washington Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Theatre Verein (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tamm Building (about 700 feet away); Schnier Building (about 700 feet away); Historic Log House (about 700 feet away); Marie Krog House (about 700 feet away); Southern Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 14 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 8, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.