Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hungerford in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

J. D. Hudgins Ranch

 
 
J. D. Hudgins Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2018
1. J. D. Hudgins Ranch Marker
Inscription.  Joel Hudgins (1800-1873) of North Carolina came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and settled in the Hungerford area. He married Rachel Ann Northington McKenzie (d. 1903) in 1847. He was elected county commissioner in 1854.

After Joel's death, Rachel and their four sons began to buy more land and expand the ranching operation. Josiah Dawson (J. D.) Hudgins (d. 1928) headed the family's interests. He also owned a store, cotton gin, sawmill, and grew rice. In 1897 the four brothers divided the family property and operated independently.

In 1915 J. D. and his children purchased their first purebred Brahman cows, descendants of the herd brought from India by A. P. Borden in 1906. J. D.'s son Walter Hudgins (d. 1943) helped organize the American Brahman Breeders Association in 1924.

The Hudgins Ranch acquired the bull "Manso" in 1933. Manso's descendants are the cornerstone stock from which the ranch's American Gray Brahman herd was developed, now one of the largest registered American Gray Brahman herds in the world. Cattle from this ranch have been exported to over 42 countries and 34 states in the U.S. In 1962 the
Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans
2. Marker
ranching partnership was reorganized into five separate entities, with each division operated by descendants of J. D. Hudgins.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2662.)
 
Location. 29° 23.936′ N, 96° 4.627′ W. Marker is in Hungerford, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is at the intersection of Business U.S. 59 and East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business . Mounted on a granite monument, between flagpoles, with three other markers. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hungerford TX 77448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford (here, next to this marker); Site of Quinan Community (here, next to this marker); Site of Post West Bernard Station (here, next to this marker); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 5.3 miles away); Kendleton (approx. 5.7 miles away); a different marker also named Kendleton (approx. 5.7 miles away); Judge George E. Quinan (approx. 6.2 miles away); Security Bank and Trust Company (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hungerford.
 
Also see . . .
1. From the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
J. D. Hudgins Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, March 16, 2019
3. J. D. Hudgins Ranch Marker
Marker is the left of the two visible in this photo.

2. The J.D. Hudgins Ranch Today. (Submitted on October 25, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for J. D. Hudgins Ranch.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement