Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Jewett Bros. & Jewett Warehouse
Constructed in 1899 (with an addition in 1909) by Jewett Bros. to house their wholesale food business, this building was placed on the National Register in 1983 as part of the Old Courthouse and Warehouse Historic District.
Location. 43° 33.133′ N, 96° 43.622′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is on North Phillips Avenue south of West 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, near the southeast corner, facing North Phillips Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 North Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. President William McKinley (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Franklin Pettigrew (within shouting distance of this marker); Phillips to the Falls (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Andrew Kuehn Company (about 300 feet away); Dakota Iron Store (about 400 feet away); The Hanging of an Innocent Man The Coliseum (about 400 feet away); President Woodrow Wilson (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
Regarding Jewett Bros. & Jewett Warehouse. National Register of Historic Places (1983). Building currently houses office space and an Italian restaurant.
Also see . . .
1. Falls Center. In 1899, Jewett Brothers and Jewett Wholesale Grocers built this four-story warehouse at the corner of Fifth and Phillips in downtown Sioux Falls. In 1992 the building was renovated and restored by Koch Hazard to accommodate a variety of office and retail space, including Koch Hazard Architect’s offices located on the second floor. The quartzite first story of the building acts as a base for the upper stories of brick. The parapet consists of highly detailed brick work in a checkered pattern corbelling out from the face of the building. (Submitted on October 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Harvey Charles Jewett, Sr. Along with other entrepreneurs of his era, Harvey C. (Charles) Jewett, Sr., one of Dakota Territory's first wholesale grocers, helped to supply the demands of the Great Dakota Boom. In 1889, along with brother, David, he opened a branch wholesale business, called Jewett Brothers and Jewett, in Sioux Falls. By (Submitted on October 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Looking Back: Wholesale groceries were big business in the late 1800s. At the southwest corner of Fifth Street and Phillips Avenue stands a Victorian Gothic building that once housed the grocery wholesale business known as Jewett Brothers & Jewett. By June 1888, Charles had moved to Sioux Falls to take advantage of the larger city’s rail access. Harvey followed in 1889, the year the Dakota Territory was divided into North Dakota and South Dakota. They established their local grocery wholesale business in the Peck building on Main Street. That space was quickly outgrown, and in 1890, arrangements were made with Silas Blauvelt for a larger facility on Fifth and Main. It was constructed to suit their needs with enough support to hold the tons of product they would distribute. (Submitted on October 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.