The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York
Designated Landmark New York City
Designed in 1890 by architects Lamb & Rich and built in 1892 as the Berkeley School for Boys, this handsome Neo-Classical structure is clad in limestone, yellow Roman brick and terra cotta. The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen purchased the building in 1899. A 1903-05 expansion was designed by Ralph Samuel Townsend and financed by Andrew Carnegie. The upper stories feature wrought-iron fire escapes and a partial reproduction of the Parthenon frieze taken from casts in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum. The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen was founded in 1785 to provide education and services to the working classes of New York City.
New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation
Erected 2003 by New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation.
Location. 40° 45.319′ N, 73° 58.881′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on West 44th Street west of Fifth Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 West 44th Street, New York NY 10036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (a few steps from this marker); The Harvard Club
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.