St. Charles in St. Charles County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Methodist Church
—St. Charles, Missouri —
Records establish that Mrs. Catherine Collier built this church in 1831. It was used by her Methodist Episcopal Congregation (established 1821) until 1855 when a larger structure was necessary. Concerned about the education of protestant children, white and black, Mrs. Collier also used the building for a school.
Erected 1996 by First United Methodist Church, St. Charles.
Location. 38° 46.609′ N, 90° 29.026′ W. Marker is in St. Charles, Missouri, in St. Charles County. Marker is on South Main Street north of Perry Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 617 South Main Street, Saint Charles MO 63301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glenday/Zeisler Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmer's Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mother-in-Law House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of 426 South Main Street (about 400 feet away); The Trail to Fort Osage Missouri (about 800 feet away); Home of Dr. Jeremiah Millington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stone Building / Brick Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Charles.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Last updated on October 14, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.