Early Owners of the Farm
Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
William L. Long
William Long began construction of the two-story portion of the house about 1816, shortly after his marriage. The Longs did not complete the home before selling it in 1818.
Theodore & Anne Lucas Hunt
Theodore and Anne Hunt purchased the farm on the Gravois in 1818 as a refuge from the city, where Anne's brother had been killed in a duel. The Hunts finished the house and added two rooms at the rear.
Frederick T. & Ellen Wrenshall Dent
Frederick Dent and his wife Ellen purchased the property in 1820, soon making it their primary residence. Their additions included a basement winter kitchen and a first floor sitting room.
Julia, the Dents' eldest daughter, grew up at White Haven. During the early years of her marriage to Ulysses Grant, they lived here off and on. Their emotional ties to the home influenced them to purchase the estate in the 1860s. A first floor kitchen was added in 1868.
Location. 38° 33.125′ N, 90° 21.094′ W. Marker is near St. Louis, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker can be reached from Grant Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 Grant Road, Saint Louis MO 63123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Buildings for White Haven (here, next to this marker); Slaves Only (here, next to this marker); The Roads to White Haven (here, next to this marker); The White Haven Estate: Other Houses (here, next to this marker); The Working Farm (here, next to this marker); White Haven's Outbuildings (here, next to this marker); Green Haven? (here, next to this marker); Outbuildings / ~150 Years Ago—Colored Troops (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Early Owners of the Farm.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 414 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on October 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.