St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-4A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 14.142′ N, 81° 21.337′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Lawrence Road 1.8 miles north of Frederica Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker Pike's Bluff (approx. 0.3 miles away); German Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cannon's Point Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Harrington Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hampton Plantation (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 2 miles away); St. Simons Island (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Sinclair Plantation. Sinclair Plantation took its name from its original owner, Archibald Sinclair, a tithingman of Frederica. The property changed hands often over the years, and the plantation house served as a meeting place for the Sinclair Club, the scene of many a gala affair. Sinclair at one time was occupied by Captain Alexander Wylly, a former British officer who later built a home on the site of the colonial Salzburger settlement, or German Village as it was called. His plantation of over a thousand acres became known simply as "The Village." In 1838, Wylly's youngest son, John, was killed in a boundary dispute by Dr. Thomas Hazzard of Pike's Bluff Plantation,( across the road ).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Sinclair Plantation.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,650 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.