York in North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
St Mary’s Abbey
Welcome to St Mary’s Abbey
Once the richest monastery in the north of England, sketched by Turner
JMW Turner visited York several times during his long association with Yorkshire. In 1797 during his first tour, the artist visited St Mary's Abbey and took the time to draw the detailed view of the doorway to the Abbey church.
St Mary's Abbey was founded by the Normans. William the Conqueror himself gave permission for the monk Stephen to create a new monastery here before 1086. With the support of the nobility, St Mary's soon grew to fill this large site at the edge of the city.
By the thirteenth century, the Abbey was wealthy enough to plan and build an elaborate new church, completed in 1294. It was built in a similar style to York Minster with sweeping arches and large stained glass windows. At around 120m long, it stood as an architectural rival to the Minster for more than two centuries.
St Mary’s fell victim to Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. Its riches were confiscated and the building taken apart, then left to collapse. The ruins of the church today still give a sense
Turner also drew Ouse Bridge from many different angles. At the time the bridge had five arches spanning the river but it was rebuilt in 1821 with just three.
On Turner’s second major trip to York in 1816, he was seeking more distant views of the city. He revisited St Mary’s Abbey and Ouse Bridge and also made numerous sketches of the river, as well as views of the Minster from the north and east.
Take time to trace Turner’s footsteps on the Turner Trails throughout Yorkshire.
Discover the landscapes that inspired one of Britain’s greatest artists
Follow in Turner’s footsteps with our podcasts, downloadable leaflets and walking trails
Find out more at yorkshire.com/turner
( photo captions )
St Mary’s Abbey, West Portal, Tweed and Lakes sketchbook. Image reproduced by permission of the Tate Gallery
Illustration of St Mary’s Abbey
Ouse Bridge, York Ouse Bridge and Minster from Downstream, Tweed and Lakes sketchbook. Image reproduced by permission of the Tate Gallery
Location. 53° 57.713′ N, 1° 5.318′ W. Marker is in York, England, in North Yorkshire. Marker can be reached from Museum Street (England Route A1036) just from Lendal, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yorkshire Philosophical Society (within shouting distance of this marker); The Multiangular Tower (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Multiangular Tower (about 120 meters away); Charles Allen Tree (about 120 meters away); Coat of Arms of Charles I (about 150 meters away); St. Leonard’s Hospital (about 180 meters away); Voluntary Guides (about 180 meters away); Exhibition Square (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in York.
Also see . . . St Mary's Abbey, York. (Submitted on October 23, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 23, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.