Port Wentworth in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indian Trading Post: Home of Mary Musgrove
Mary Musgrove, famed in Georgia history for her services to James Edward Oglethorpe as interpreter, was a half-breed whose Indian name was "Cousaponakeesa". She was a niece of Old Brim, Emperor of the Creek Indians. The Musgrove house was a seat of hospitality. Among the important visitors entertained here was the celebrated John Wesley.
During the nineteenth century these lands were known as Colerain Plantation. They were extensively cultivated. Colerain was one of the largest rice plantations on the Savannah River. In Ante-Bellum days near the former site of the Musgrove house stood one of the finest mansions on the River, the home of James Potter, owner of Colerain.
The erection in 1916 of the Savannah Sugar Refining Company plant on
Erected 1961 by Georgia historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-78.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 8.525′ N, 81° 9.426′ W. Marker is in Port Wentworth, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on South Coastal Highway (State Highway 25) near Oxnard Drive. Marker is at the Savannah Sugar Refining Company. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Wentworth GA 31407, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Between Confederate Gunboats and Union Field Artillery (here, next to this marker); Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia (approx. 1.6 miles away); Laurel Hill Plantation (approx. 2.9 miles away in South Carolina); Plantation Cistern (approx. 3 miles away in South Carolina); Managing Water for Wildlife (approx. 3.2 miles away in South Carolina); Rice Field Trunk (approx. 3.2 miles away in South Carolina); Prescribed Burning (approx. 3.2 miles away in South Carolina); Washington's Southern Tour (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Wentworth.
Regarding Indian Trading Post: Home of Mary Musgrove.
Tangible proof of the Southern plantation is often difficult to come by, particularly in Savannah. Some were destroyed by neglect and the ravages of time, and some simply ceased to exist. As the 20th century unfolded, the Savannah River Plantations slowly gave way to modern industry. In 1935, Union Camp purchased the land that was once the Hermitage and built an impressive pulp and paper mill. Mulberry Grove became the site of the Georgia Ports Authority and BASF Corporation. The Tweedside/Colerain Plantation became the site of Savannah Sugar. Kerr-McGee (formerly Kemira) is located on the site of the old Deptford Plantation. And Brampton Plantation became the site of several warehouses. Wormsloe Plantation, 10 miles southeast of the historic district, is the only early plantation in the area unblemished by industry, testimony to another time and different way of life.
Also see . . . Mary Musgrove (ca. 1700-ca. 1763). New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Indian Trading Post: Home of Mary Musgrove.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 7,028 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 19, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.