Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
L'Isle-Verte in Rivière-du-Loup MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

L'Église / The Church

 
 
L'Église / The Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
1. L'Église / The Church Marker
Inscription.  

On appelle plutôt "chapelle" notre première église tellement elle était petite. Bâtie entre 1723 et 1738, elle était située sur la terre donnée à l'Église par le premier seigneur Côté. La seconde fut construite de 1798 à 1800, près de l'emplacement du presbytère actuel.

L'Isle-Verte est érigée en paroisse sous le vocable de la Décollation de Saint-Jean-Baptiste le 12 mai 1828.

L'église actuelle soulève des discussions de 1833 à 1855, à cause de ses dimensions. Finalement le temple, de style gothique flamboyant, dont les plans sont l'œuvre de l'architecte Louis-Thomas Berlinguet de Québec, est ouvert au culte en 1855.

Ses murs sont en pierre de champs, tandis que le clocher et la sacristie, construits en 1890, sont en pierre de taille.

Le Presbytère

L'Isle-Verte a connu quatre presbyteres. Le premier occupait l'emplacement du bureau de poste actuel. Le second fut bâti en 1803 près de l'emplacement du monument du Sacré-Cœur.

Le troisième, construit en 1854, devait être à l'origine une école pour les filles. Déplacé deux fois depuis 1923, il subit de sérieux agrandissements et change de vocation : salle paroissiale,

L'Église / The Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
2. L'Église / The Church and Marker
salles de classes, salle de l'Âge d'Or, ... Il est remplacé par le presbytère actuel construit en 1923.

Le Cimetière

On en compte trois. Le premier s'étendait devant l'entrée principale du presbytère actuel. Le deuxième était situé en face de l'école Moisson-d'Arts.

La translation des restes des défunts (1893-1894) au deuxième rang de la paroisse (cimetière actuel) soulève une vive polémique entre les membres de la Fabrique et la population, vraisemblablement à cause de l'éloignement.

[Légendes photo, de gauche à droite, lues]
• Intérieur de l'église avant la rénovation de 1914.

• L'église et le troisième presbytère, vers 1910.

• Louis-Auguste Guillemette, touchant l'orgue en 1931.

Merci de respecter la propriété privée

———————————————————

The first church was so small, it was more like a chapel. It was built on the land given to the Church by the first Seigneur Côte, between 1723 and 1738. The second church was constructed from 1798 to 1800 near the current presbytery.

L'Isle Verte was established as a parish through the Order of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, May 12, 1828.

The current parish church was the subject of much discussion from 1833 to 1855. Finally, the church with its flamboyant Gothic style, designed by the architect, Louis-Thomas Berlinguet of Québec, was opened for worship in 1855.

The walls are built of fieldstone, while the bell tower and the sacristy, built in 1890, are of freestone.

The Presbytery

L'Isle-Verte ha[s] had four presbyteries. The first occupied the site of the current post office. The second was built in 1803, near the site of the monument of the Sacred Heart.

The third, built in 1854, was supposed to be a school for girls. Moved twice since 1923, it underwent many changes in its vocation: parish hall, classrooms, senior citizens' hall, ... It was replaced in 1923 by the current presbytery.

The Cemetery

There have been three cemeteries. The first cemetery was in front of the principal entrance to the current presbytery. The second was located where is presently the playground for the École Moisson-Arts.

Moving the deceased (1893-1894), to the current location on the second country road, was the subject of hot debate between the Church Council and the population, probably because of the distance from the village.

[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
• The church's interior before the 1914 renovation.

• The church and the third presbytery, around 1910.

• Louis-Auguste Guillemette, at the organ in 1931.

Thank you for respecting this private property
 
Erected by La Corporation de développement économique et touristique de L'Isle-Verte. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Location. 48° 0.849′ N, 69° 20.211′ W. Marker is in L'Isle-Verte, Quebec, in Rivière-du-Loup MRC. Marker is on rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste just north of rue la Noraye, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 rue Saint-Jean-Baptiste, L'Isle-Verte, Quebec G0L 1K0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 26 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le couvent du Saint-Rosaire / The Saint-Rosaire Convent (within shouting distance of this marker); Les magasins Rioux / The Rioux Shops (approx. 16.8 kilometers away); L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - Presbytère (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges (approx. 17.3 kilometers away); CJFP (approx. 24.8 kilometers away); John McLoughlin (approx. 24.8 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  Îlot religieux de L'Isle-Verte. (Submitted on November 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionMan-Made Features

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.