Potterville in Eaton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Potterville United Methodist Church
The Potterville United Methodist Church was organized after the Reverend Hiram Nichols held a revival meeting in Potterville in 1867. The congregation appointed a building committee in 1875 and began work on the church in the spring of 1877. George M. Potter donated the land for the church, which was dedicated on February 3, 1878. The church took its present name after the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968.
When constructed in 1877, the church seated three hundred people. Its main entrance was at its southeast corner. From 1920 to 1923 the church was remodelled and enlarged under the guidance of head carpenter John Griffith. Much of the original woodwork on the windows and gables was removed; however, the stained glass windows and the bell were left intact. The church also retained its L-shape, frame structure and high gable roofs.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1296.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 37.549′ N, 84° 44.5′ W. Marker is in Potterville, Michigan, in Eaton Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Church Street, Potterville MI 48876, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Luren D. Dickinson / The "Country Capitol" (approx. 6.1 miles away); Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Eaton County / Eaton County Courthouse Square (approx. 6.4 miles away); First Congregational Church of Charlotte (approx. 6˝ miles away); Joseph & Mary Hall House (approx. 6˝ miles away); Center Eaton United Methodist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); 1845 Eaton County Courthouse (approx. 7.3 miles away); History of the Bennett Park Dam (approx. 7.4 miles away).
1. Sycamore Creek Church
Since September 2016, Potterville United Methodist Church has been part of Sycamore Creek Church. This congregation is now called Sycamore Creek - Potterville Campus.
— Submitted November 6, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.