Studio City in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Campo de Cahuenga
Beneath this park rest the stone foundations and floor tiles of the historic adobe where Mexican General Andres Pico and U.S. Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont signed the Treaty of Cahuenga on January 13, 1847. Signing the Treaty ended the hostilities in California between the United States and Mexico, and led to the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, which ceded California to the U.S. and formally ended the Mexican-American War. The adobe, then owned by a Spaniard, Eulogio de Celis, may have been built as early as 1795 when this land on El Camino Real was occupied by a veteran Mexican soldier, Mariano de la Luz Verdugo. Between 1810 and 1834, the San Fernando Mission owned the land.
The adobe also served as a stop on the Butterfield Stage from 1858 to 1861. Butterfield carried passengers, mail, and cargo throughout the western United States from Tipton, MO to San Francisco, CA.
During construction of the Metro Rail station, the MTA team uncovered, researched, evaluated, and cataloged these foundations. In 1997, the archaeological remains of the adobe were determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The remnants have been protected in place for future generations to discover, observe and interpret.
Erected by The City of Los Angeles and the Metropolitan
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail marker series.
Location. 34° 8.379′ N, 118° 21.742′ W. Marker is in Studio City, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker can be reached from Lankershim Boulevard 0.1 miles north of U.S. 101, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The Adobe is one block north of the Hollywood Freeway (US 101). The Marker is at the main entrance on the south wall of the Adobe compound - near the MTA's Universal City subway entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3919 Lankershim Boulevard, Studio City CA 91604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lankershim Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Big Boy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Amelia Earhart (approx. 2 miles away); Lankershim Train Depot (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Honorable Edmund D. Edelman (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hollywoodland's Granite Retaining Walls and Interconnecting Granite Stairs (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Magic Castle (approx. 2.7 miles away).
More about this marker. Campo de Cahuenga is open on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays
Also see . . .
1. Campo de Cahuenga: Women of the Campo ... Doña Bernada Ruiz. (Submitted on December 28, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Campo de Cahuenga. (Submitted on December 28, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. The Surrender. (Submitted on February 9, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Peace • Politics • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 861 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on November 8, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 12, 13, 14. submitted on February 5, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 15, 16, 17. submitted on February 10, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 18. submitted on February 20, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.