Charlotte in Eaton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1845 Eaton County Courthouse
This building served as Eaton County's courthouse from 1846 to 1872. The first courthouse was built in Bellevue in the 1830s. In 1840, Charlotte became the county seat, and in 1844 the county supervisors voted to erect a new courthouse on the public square. The Greek Revival structure was built at a cost of $1,000 by S. E. Millett and Lewis Scout. In 1872 the Episcopal church bought the courthouse. After many uses, the building was rehabilitated by Historic Charlotte, Incorporated, to resemble its original form.
Erected 1992 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1719.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 32.716′ N, 84° 50.12′ W. Marker is in Charlotte, Michigan, in Eaton County. Marker is on Cochran Avenue (Business Interstate 69) south of Tirrell Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker and courthouse are in Bennett Park, just north of Battle Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte MI 48813, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of the Bennett Park Dam (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church First Congregational Church of Charlotte (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eaton County / Eaton County Courthouse Square (approx. 1.3 miles away); Joseph & Mary Hall House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Luren D. Dickinson / The "Country Capitol" (approx. 1.9 miles away); Center Eaton United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Potterville United Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte.
Regarding 1845 Eaton County Courthouse. "Eaton County's first Courthouse was moved from the Courthouse square in 1872. It Served as a garage until purchased by Historic Charlotte, Inc. and moved to Bennett Park in 1983 where restoration is in progress." — Eaton County website.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 9, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.