Durham in Durham County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
North Carolina Central University Historical Marker
The congregation moved to a new and larger home nearby in 2006, and the Alston Avenue property was sold to the state for NCCU's expansion. To make way for a new facility for the Department of Nursing, the sanctuary was relocated to this site during the university's Centennial Year, where it was rededicated and renamed the Centennial Chapel on July 10, 2010.
Erected by North Carolina Central University.
Location. 35° 58.487′ N, 78° 54.087′ W. Marker is in Durham, North Carolina, in Durham County. Marker is on Fayetteville Street north of Formosa Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1912 Fayetteville Street, Durham NC 27707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shepard House (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Shepard (about 400 feet Clyde R. Hoey Building (about 500 feet away); Former Site of Hillside High School (about 500 feet away); Beulah C. Bowens Fuller (about 600 feet away); North Carolina Central University (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bull City Blues (approx. half a mile away); John Sprunt Hill (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Durham.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 19 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.