Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rimouski in Rimouski-Neigette MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Le Manoir Seigneurial

 
 
Le Manoir Seigneurial Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 16, 2018
1. Le Manoir Seigneurial Marker
Inscription.  

À son arrivée à Rimouski en 1696, le seigneur René Lepage construit, près de la rivière, une maison en colombage d'environ 6 mètres (20 pieds) sur 15,2 mètres (50 pieds) et une petite scierie pour les besoins de la jeune seigneurie. Le manoir de la famille Lepage abrite ses descendants jusqu'en 1790.

La seigneurie passe ensuite aux mains d'un riche marchand de Québec, Joseph Drapeau. À sa mort, en 1810, ses filles, les seigneuresses Drapeau, prennent en main les affaires familiales et construisent un second manoir seigneurial qui leur sert de résidence d'été. C'est dans ce manoir, dont le style est inspiré du classicisme, qu'Arthur Buies, journaliste reconnu, écrivain et ami du curé Labelle, passe la majeure partie des étés de son enfance sous la bienveillante protection de ses vieilles tantes. Ce manoir est détruit par le feu de 1950.

Par son mariage en 1847 avec Marguerite-Adelaïde Kelly, petite-fille de Joseph Drapeau, Ulric-Joseph Tessier devient le dernier seigneur de Rimouski puisque quelques années plus tard, le système seigneurial est aboli. Ulric-Joseph Tessier participe à la fondation de la Banque nationale

Le Manoir Seigneurial Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 16, 2018
2. Le Manoir Seigneurial Marker
de Québec et y siège comme directeur à partir de 1859. Il occupe aussi le poste de président honoraire de la Banque d'économie du Québec (1859-1862), de commissaire aux travaux publics du Canada (1862) et de sénateur (1867). De plus, il assume des fonctions de juge de la cour supérieure en 1873 et juge de la cour d'appel en 1875.

Son fils, Auguste Tessier, avocat de profession, agit comme maire de Rimouski pendant 10 ans (1889 à 1899) et député de Rimouski pendant 18 ans (1899-1907). Durant son mandat de député provincial, il est ministre de l'Agriculture et par la suite, trésorier de la province. En 1907, il remplace l'Honorable juge Jules-Ernest Larue à titre de juge du district de Rimouski.

Maurice Tessier, fils d'Auguste, est maire de Rimouski de 1961 à 1970. Il siège comme député à l'Assemblée nationale de 1966 à 1973, et est nommé ministre des Affaires municipales et des Travaux publics de 1970 à 1973. En 1973, il devient juge la core provincale pour le district de Québec.

[La légende de la photo se lit]
Le manoir seigneurial à la fin du XIXe siècle

[English translation]

On his arrival in Rimouski in 1696, Lord René Lepage built a half-timbered house near the river, about six meters (20 feet) by 15.2 meters (50 feet), and a small sawmill for the needs of the community. The Lepage family manor housed its descendants until 1790.

The lordship then passed into the hands of a wealthy Quebec City merchant, Joseph Drapeau. When he died in 1810, his daughters, the Ladies Drapeau, took over the family business and built a second seigniorial manor house that served as their summer residence. It was in this manor, whose style was inspired by classicism, that Arthur Buies, recognized journalist, writer and friend of the priest Labelle, spent most of his childhood summers under the benevolent protection of his old aunts. This mansion was destroyed by the fire of 1950.

By his 1847 marriage with Marguerite-Adelaïde Kelly, granddaughter of Joseph Drapeau, Ulric-Joseph Tessier became the last Lord of Rimouski because a few years later the seigneurial system was abolished. Ulric-Joseph Tessier participated in the founding of the National Bank of Quebec and became its director in 1859. He also held the positions of Honorary President of the Quebec Bank of Economics (1859-1862), Commissioner of Works for Canada (1862), and Senator (1867). In addition, he assumed the functions of Judge of the Superior Court in 1873 and Judge of the Court of Appeal in 1875.

His son, Auguste Tessier, a lawyer by profession, was Mayor of Rimouski for 10 years (1889 to 1899) and MP for Rimouski for 18 years (1899-1907 [sic-1917?]). During his tenure as MPP, he was Minister of Agriculture and later Treasurer of the province. In 1907, he replaced the Honorable Judge Jules-Ernest Larue as a Judge of the Rimouski District.

Maurice Tessier, Auguste's son, was Mayor of Rimouski from 1961 to 1970. He sat as a member of the National Assembly from 1966 to 1973, and was appointed Minister of Municipal Affairs and Public Works from 1970 to 1973. In 1973, he became judge of the provincial core for the district of Quebec.

[Photo caption reads]
The manor house at the end of the 19th century
 
Erected by Ville de Rimouski, Tourisme Rimouski, Culture et Communications Quebec, et al.
 
Location. 48° 26.737′ N, 68° 32.295′ W. Marker is in Rimouski, Quebec, in Rimouski-Neigette MRC. Marker is on boulevard de la Rivière just west of rue Saint-Germain Ouest, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rimouski, Quebec G5L 4B7, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rimouski War of 1812 Honored Dead (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Monument commémoratif de guerre / War Memorial (about 150 meters away); Défense du Canada / Defense of Canada (about 150 meters away); Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-Claire (about 180 meters away); Les maisons de colonisation / Settlement Houses (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); La maison du commerce / The House of Commerce (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Maisons d'aujourd'hui / Today's Houses (approx. 5.3 kilometers away); Les maisons de notables / Noteworthy Houses (approx. 5.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rimouski.
 
Also see . . .
1. René Lepage de Sainte-Claire at Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Discover Rimouski. (Submitted on November 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraPoliticsSettlements & Settlers

 
More. Search the internet for Le Manoir Seigneurial.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.