Sheffield in Crockett County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Government Road
In 1848 water holes and camp sites were marked as this road was re-charted for use of U.S. troops sent to protect Texas frontiers from Indian invasions. Army posts were built along this road: Fort Clark, between San Antonio and Del Rio, 1852; Fort Davis, in the Davis Mountains, 1854; Camp Lancaster, at this site, became Fort Lancaster in 1856. Camp Hudson and Fort Stockton were founded in 1857 and 1859. With all the army traffic, trail won new name of "Government Road."
Pioneer settlers, adventurers, California-bound gold seekers—even camel trains in government service—traveled this road in spite of frequent encounters with Comanches, Apaches, Kiowas, and other Indians. The Army finally stationed troops in continuous picket line from San Antonio to El Paso. However, it was not until 1870 that relatively safe passage was assured.
Erected 1968 by State Historical
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 30° 40.697′ N, 101° 40.375′ W. Marker is in Sheffield, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is on State Highway 290 8.8 miles south of Interstate 10, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located in the TXDOT picnic area overlook. Marker is in this post office area: Sheffield TX 79781, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole (a few steps from this marker); Howard's Well (a few steps from this marker); Ruins of Fort Lancaster (approx. 1.6 miles away); Laura and William Peery Hoover (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 350 times since then. Last updated on November 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.