Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1894 Blanco County Jail
Noting the unhealthy dampness of the basement where prisoners were first kept after the Blanco County seat was moved to Johnson City, the Commissioners Court ordered the construction of this jail facility in 1893. Completed the following year, the jailhouse was built of limestone by J.E.L. (Kergie) Dildine (1853-1925), a rock mason who came to Blanco County from Kansas in the 1880s. Despite an 1897 jailbreak, the facility has continued in use, with interior modifications to meet state jail standards.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 429.)
Location. 30° 16.657′ N, 98° 24.662′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of North Avenue G and Pecan Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Avenue G. Touch for map. Marker is south across Pecan Avenue from the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Avenue G, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County (within shouting distance of this marker); Blanco County Courthouse (within shouting distance Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Polk Johnson Building (about 300 feet away); Dr. James F. Barnwell (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Dr. James Odiorne (about 500 feet away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.