Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Martin Scott
December 5, 1848
as a protection to travelers and
settlers against Indian attack.
Named in honor of Major Martin Scott,
Brevet Lieutenant Colonel,
5th United States Infantry,
killed at Molino del Rey,
September 8, 1847.
Its garrison participated in many
Occupied intermittently after 1852,
held by the Confederates, 1861-1865,
permanently abandoned in December, 1866.
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 10039.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 14.983′ N, 98° 50.828′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 290) south of Industial Loop, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is east of the highway at the entrance to the Gillespie County Fort Martin Scott Park/Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 East Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Commanding the Fort (a few steps from this marker); Officers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); The Comanche Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town and the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uncovering the Past (about 400 feet away); Peace with the Indians (about 500 feet away); The Sutler's Store (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . .
1. Fort Martin Scott. ... During the Civil War the fort had no strategic position. Except as a possible site of a Confederate mustering station to serve notice against the populace of Gillespie County who had voted against secession, the Confederate Army did not occupy Fort Martin Scott. In September 1866 Gen. Philip H. Sheridan ordered elements of the Fourth United States Cavalry to Fort Martin Scott to secure the frontier once again from possible Indian depredations. By the end of 1866 the fort was finally abandoned by military units. ... (Submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Fort Martin Scott. (Submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. U.S. National Register of Historic Places, 1980; Gillespie County Historical Society.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,805 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on November 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on February 23, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 9. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.