Langdon in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Francis de Sales Church
Congregation began about 1722, when Catholics first attended mass at chapel within Queen family mansion, on site approximately at present Everts Street, N.E., near 20th Street. Building came to be called Queen’s Chapel. Destroyed by fire three times: in American Revolution (date uncertain); War of 1812 (1814); and Civil War (1862). Rebuilt each time; last time as St. Francis De Sales Church (1908). Each new building attended by members of congregation that had attended at older building. St. Francis De Sales Church moved to present site in 1927. Last Queen’s Chapel building is now gone.
Erected by St. Francis De Sales R. C. Church.
Location. 38° 55.754′ N, 76° 58.541′ W. Marker is in Langdon, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Rhode Island Avenue NE (U.S. 1) east of 20th Street NE, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2015 Rhode Island Avenue NE, Washington DC 20018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Clifton Weaver Residence Site (approx. Corinthian Capital (approx. ¾ mile away); Carlo Angelo Facchina (approx. ¾ mile away); Very Rev. Godfrey Schilling, O.F.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); Erected to the Memory of the Very Reverend Commissaries (approx. ¾ mile away); Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Bunker Hill (approx. ¾ mile away).
Also see . . . History of St. Francis de Sales Church. (Submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Roman Catholic
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on December 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.