St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Government House and the Plaza
Casa Gubernamental y la Plaza
Government House (far left) at west end of St. Angustine's Plaza during the Civil War, with Union troops drawn up.
Marker background is from an etching in Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, Dec 13, 1862,
courtesy St. Augustine Historical Society
Casa Gubernamental (extremo izquierdo) al oeste de la Plaza de
Erected by University of Florida Historic St. Augustine, Inc.
Location. 29° 53.546′ N, 81° 18.776′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on St. George Street north of King Street (Business U.S. 1), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Governor's House Cultural Center and Museum, in the small courtyard near the southeast corner of the Government House, overlooking the Plaza de la Constitución. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 King Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Government House: National Significance (a few steps from this marker); Balcón de los Reyes (a few steps from this marker); Government House: Legacy of Authority (a few steps from this marker); Coquina in These Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Young Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); 8 inch Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de la Constitución Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Regarding Government House and the Plaza. National Register of Historic Places (2013) #13000812
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Government House, St. Augustine, Florida
Also see . . . Government House. Government House is adjacent to the Plaza de la Constitución. The building, constructed of coquina, served as the governor's official residence from c. 1710 during the First Spanish Period (1565 -1763), throughout the British Period (1763 - 1784), and until 1812 in the Second Spanish Period (1784 - 1821). Governor Gonzalo Méndez de Canzo was the first governor to build his residence on the present Government House site in 1598. By the time Florida was annexed by the United States in 1821, the building was in ruins with only the walls remaining. In 1833-34 Government House was rebuilt with federal funds. The structure incorporated existing walls and contained 16 rooms, including space for a post office, a courtroom, and other federal functions. During the American Civil War federal troops were headquartered (Submitted on December 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on December 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.