Springfield in Clark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Tavern in Springﬁeld
This Marks the Site of
The First Tavern in Springfield
In 1808 A Permanent Peace Treaty
Was Made By
Simon Kenton and Others
With the Indians
Erected 1924 by Daughters of the American Revolution Lagonda Chapter.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 55.461′ N, 83° 48.414′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Ohio, in Clark County. Marker is at the intersection of E Main Street (U.S. 40) and S Spring Street (Ohio Route 72), on the left when traveling west on E Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the lower left corner of the front facade of Champion City Guide and Supply, a Chamber of Commerce store located in the old Tuttle Brothers Auto Supplies Store (the sign for which still hangs out front). Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 E Main Street, Springfield OH 45502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. B. Graham (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The A. B. Graham Building (about 600 feet away); The Birthplace of 4-H (about 600 feet away); John M. Temple (about 700 feet away); DeMint Memorial Park (about 700 feet away); H. A. "Harry" Toulmin Sr. (about 800 feet away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Rogers Clark (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Categories. • Native Americans • Peace • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2018, by J. Wesley Baker of Springfield, Ohio. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 21, 2018, by J. Wesley Baker of Springfield, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.