Fresno in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Moses J. Church
Erected 1976 by E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 41.712′ N, 119° 44.685′ W. Marker is in Fresno, California, in Fresno County. Marker can be reached from South Maple Avenue south of East Edgar Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker has been moved from easy public view. It is now located at the front entrance to the new building. The only way to view the marker is to enter the Fresno Irrigation District grounds and drive to near the entrance to the new building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2907 South Maple Avenue, Fresno CA 93725, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fresno Assembly Center (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Fresno Brewing Company (approx. 2.8 miles away); Frank Chance Field 1935-1941 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Billy Vukovich Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Young Corbett III (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fresno Traction Company (approx. 3.4 miles away); China Alley (approx. 3.6 miles away); Kogetsu-Do (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fresno.
More about this marker. This is the third move since it was dedicated in 1976
Regarding Moses J. Church. Moses J Church started the irrigation canals well before the city of Fresno was even considered. As a result of the water being brought to the valley, both the cities of Fresno and Clovis came about because the area became such a bountiful agricultural area leading the railroads to bring their lines into the valley. As a result, Moses Church is recognized on this marker, on another marker in downtown Fresno (Church-Sperry Mill), and in a large marker next to his gravesite in Mountain View Cemetery put up by his friend Fulton Berry that recognizes Church as "The Father of Fresno Irrigation." He also raised sheep, and became part of the "Cattle Versus Sheep" wars of the late 1800's. Always
The Church-Sperry Marker was rededicated on September 6, 2013 just outside the back door of the Fresno Water Tower. A second re-dedication stone tells the story that the Church-Sperry mill stood 437 feet west of the water tower.
Also see . . . Moses Church. A Find-A-Grave posting offering additional biographical information and additional photos. (Submitted on February 26, 2010.)
1. Moses J Church marker
The Fresno Irrigation District recently moved the marker from the lawn and have it in storage. No information yet on what will be done with it. The marker remains the property of E Clampus Vitus and should be replaced or moved to another suitable location if the Fresno Irrigation District no longer wants it on their property.
— Submitted October 27, 2014, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 2,389 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on December 28, 2018, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos: 1. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 2. submitted on March 10, 2017, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 3. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 4. submitted on February 26, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 9. submitted on March 10, 2017, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.