Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sarah Seely De Witt
made the first battle flag of Texas
used by the colonists in the
Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835
Born in Virginia, 1789
came to Texas in 1826
with her husband
Green De Witt, Empresario,
and their five children
Died November 28, 1854
and is buried here on
Sarah Seely League.
Green De Witt
Born in Kentucky
February 12, 1787
Died in Monclova, Mexico
May 18, 1835
while on business there
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 1215.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 28.48′ N, 97° 26.898′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is on an unnamed park road 0.1 miles north of County Road 197, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Green DeWitt Cemetery, which is located inside J. B. Wells Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2301 County Road 197, Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Dewitt Cemetery (a few steps Santa Anna Mound (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Eighteen (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gonzales Cannon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Campsite Marking Start of San Jacinto Campaign (approx. 1.6 miles away); 1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Indian Fort (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gonzales Cannon Burial Site (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 3, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.