Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George W. Campbell Home

 
 
George W. Campbell Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
1. George W. Campbell Home Marker
Inscription. George W. Campbell originally built this highly picturesque structure in 1854. Designed with Romanesque and Norman Revival architectural features - a round tower, arched windows and doorways - and constructed of locally mined blue limestone, the home is representative of the work of architect W. Russell West. Campbell, a nationally eminent horticulturist, had a small vineyard to the east of the house where he developed and improved a variety of fruits, most notably the world famous Delaware Grape. Following Campbell's death in 1898, the house was sold to Dr. Aaron J. Lyons and Mrs. Abbie Parish and presented to Ohio Wesleyan University, serving for more than 70 years as Lyons Art Hall.
 
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Delaware County Cultural Arts Center, William H. Eells, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 18.04′ N, 83° 4.541′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of West Winter Street and Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling west on West Winter Street
George W. Campbell Home and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
2. George W. Campbell Home and Marker
. Touch for map. Home is now the Delaware Cultural Arts Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 W. Winter Street, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse Hill / The Plum Orchard (approx. 0.4 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware County World War I Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Post 115 Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Delaware County War on Terrorism Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old City Hall and Opera House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
 
Also see . . .  The Arts Castle. ...dedicated to nurturing the creative energies of residents of Delaware County and surrounding areas... (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducationHorticulture & ForestryNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement