Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palestine in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Anderson County Courthouse

 
 
Anderson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
1. Anderson County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Created by the Texas Legislature on March 24, 1846, Anderson County was named for former Republic of Texas Vice President Kenneth L. Anderson. The first court in the new county was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846.

The first Anderson County Courthouse, a one-story frame structure, was built in 1847. Located on the northeast corner of the square, it was replaced by a two-story brick courthouse in 1856. A third courthouse, also brick, was completed in 1886 but was destroyed by fire in 1913.

The fourth and present Anderson County Courthouse was built in 1913-14. Designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles Page & Bro., it was dedicated on December 20, 1914. The Beaux-Arts style building features giant order Ionic columns and pedimented porticoes on each facade, and is topped by a dome surmounted by a Justice statue.

Still in use as the seat of justice for Anderson County, the courthouse underwent major restoration in 1986. The historically and architecturally significant building serves as a source of pride for county residents.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988
Anderson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
2. Anderson County Courthouse
Marker is barely visible behind the lamp post to the left of the sidewalk.

 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8732.)
 
Location. 31° 45.899′ N, 95° 37.588′ W. Marker is in Palestine, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on North Church Street (State Highway 19), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the west side of the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Church Street, Palestine TX 75801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Palestine Salt Works C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Purvey Lee (P. L.) Chism (within shouting distance of this marker); Timothy Stephen Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Micham Main (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Homer Garrison, Jr. (about 600 feet away); Dr. Bonner Frizzell (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palestine.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Anderson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
3. Anderson County Courthouse
 

More. Search the internet for Anderson County Courthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement