New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Paulís Chapel
The columned entrance porch on Broadway leads, surprisingly, directly into the altar-end of the church instead of the rear of the sanctuary – the main entrance is through the Colonial-era churchyard to the west. The white, wooden interior has changed little from George Washingtonís days. The President was a regular during his first years in office, when New York was the nationís capital, and his pew survives, carefully preserved and roped off on the side.
St. Paulís developed a reputation as Downtownís most peaceful oasis – a role suddenly transformed by the collapse of the World
Despite St. Paulís unexpected role in the wake of the tragedy, life at the Chapel goes on. Besides holding regular religious services, St. Paulís continues to operate a transition shelter for homeless men run by Trinity Church volunteers, and to host weekly noonday concerts open to the public, a tradition since 1968.
Erected by The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 40° 42.678′ N, 74° 0.532′ W. Marker was in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker was at the intersection of Broadway and Vesey Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: New York NY 10007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Dr. William James MacNeven (here, next to this marker); Richard Montgomery Remains of Maj. Gen. Richard Montgomery (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named St. Paul's Chapel (a few steps from this marker); A Historic Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Honorable Thomas Addis Emmet (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Paulís Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); David Rockefeller Memorial Clock (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. The top right of the marker features a picture of George Washington in front of St. Paulís Chapel. It has a caption of “On April 30, 1789, following his inauguration as President at Federal Hall on Wall Street, George Washington walked up to St. Paulís for a special service in solemn procession, accompanied by his Vice President, John Adams, and members of Congress.” Below this is a photograph of “The memorial on St. Paulís wrought-iron fence, May 2002. The spontaneous collage of signed t-shirts, banners, posters, baseball caps, letters, and paper cranes – a symbol of peace – developed into the largest and longest-lasting of such memorials to the victims of 9-11.” The left of the marker contains a photograph of “A piano recital in the sanctuary, part of the St. Paulís Chapel Noonday series.” Below this is a picture of the painting from the church, with the caption “The oil painting of the Great Seal of the United States that hangs above Washingtonís pew in St. Paulís believed to be one of its earliest representations, ordered by the Vestry in 1785, just three years after its adoption by the Continental Congress, and four years before Washingtonís inauguration.” Also present is a photo of one of the chandeliers in the chapel. This includes a caption of “St. Paulís is lit by fourteen cut-glass chandeliers from Waterford, Ireland, ordered by the Vestry in 1802. Several decades later, as gas replaced candlelight, the chandeliers were removed and all but one donated to various sister Episcopal churches. Remarkably, a century later, they were all tracked down, reacquired for the church, restored, wired for electricity, and rehung in a 1926 restoration of the chapel.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers in lower Manhattan erected by the Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.
Also see . . . St. Paul's. Nation's First Monument To Soldier; Washington Worshipped In Church. New York Freedom Trail website. (Submitted on June 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,195 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on February 5, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 7. submitted on February 5, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.